50 Things To On A Hot Day
If the weather outside has you hot and bothered, here are fifty great things you can do to while away the hours!
1. Cool off in the nearest river or stream by kayaking. This is a great way to cool off and still get a workout, and even beginners can enjoy it.
2. Run through the sprinklers. Nothing makes you feel like a kid again more than this!
3. Visit a water park. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
4. Try a ride on a zip line. This is exhilarating, and a great way to cool down.
5. Take a picnic to the beach. Pack plenty of icy cold drinks, some sandwiches, and snacks into a cooler and make some memories.
6. Visit an ice cream parlor. Get a large ice cream sundae, and share it with a friend.
7. Fill a plastic child’s swimming pool with water and ice, then jump in. See how long you can stand it before you have to get out!
8. Find a cool, shady spot on a porch or under a tree. Grab a cold glass of lemonade and just relax. Do nothing else but enjoy the sounds of summer, and maybe catch a nap!
9. Get in your car and drive somewhere you have never been before, preferably somewhere cooler! Don’t forget your camera, you may see something exciting!
10. Fill water pistols with cold water and shoot your friends. Enjoy getting soaked and soaking them.
11. Go to a shopping mall and do some people watching. This can be a fun way to pass a few hours, but try not to obviously stare at people, or they may think you are strange.
12. Stop by your local visitor’s center or welcome center and pick up some information about local attractions.
13. Grab an iced coffee from your favorite coffee shop. If coffee’s not your thing, try a frozen fruit drink or even a milkshake. Enjoy the free wifi, if it’s available!
14. Head to the nearest bookstore and browse the new releases. Some bookstores have comfy reading areas, and if your store does, grab a book or magazine and chill. Coffee is optional.
15. Learn a new language. There are websites and apps available that can get you started with learning a new language of your choice. Check the local library for further resources. It’ll keep you out of the heat and make you sound really cool!
16. Go to the movies. Escape the heat, and reality, at least for a couple of hours. Matinees are generally cheaper than evening shows, too, so you’ll have money left for popcorn and drinks.
17. If visiting a movie theater is not an option, rent a DVD or stream a movie at home. Pop some popcorn, pour a cold drink, and kick back for a few hours in the comfort of your own home cinema.
18. Watch a tv series that you’ve always wanted to see. Sites like Hulu and Netflix are great for this, but you may also be able to find shows on DVD at your local library for free.
19. Go to a craft supply store or art store and get a sketch pad and some pencils. Practice drawing, or just doodle. This is a great indoor or outdoor activity, and it can be very relaxing.
20. Practice your culinary skills outdoors. Have a barbecue, invite some friends, and have a good time. Have everyone bring a dish to ease your workload, and keep the food informal and fun. Don’t forget the ice cold drinks, but remember, if you drink alcohol in the heat it can be easy to overdo it, so alternate between alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages.
21. Crank up the A/C and your video game console, and have a marathon gaming session. Play with friends online, or in person, and see how many levels you can beat in one session.
22. Read a book. Find a comfy place to read, some snacks and a drink, and lose yourself in the story. Repeat as necessary.
23. Make your own ice pops. Pour juice or other fruity drinks into a plastic Popsicle mold, freeze, and enjoy!
24. If you have a dog, give it a bath, then watch it run around like crazy trying to dry off. If you get wet in the process, even better, since it will cool you down, too.
25. Find a shady spot to fish, and cast your line. Sit back and enjoy the solitude, and appreciate your natural surroundings.
26. Get out the hose and wash your car. It’s a great way to cool down and get your ride looking its best.
27. Go to a baseball game. Whether it’s a little league game or professional one is unimportant. Just find one and enjoy the actual game, the energy of the spectators, and the cold drinks from the concession stands.
28. Find a swimming pool, grab some friends, and have a game of Marco Polo. Or, just have fun splashing around in the water, just goofing off.
29. Set up a lemonade stand and sell ice cold lemonade to other hot, thirsty people. Give the money to a charity, because it’s a nice thing to do.
30. Put on your favorite beach music and dance like a crazy person. Practice your best hula dance, grass skirts are optional.
31. Head down to the local bowling alley and drop some pins. Bowl with some friends to see who can get the best score, and make the loser buy everyone a round of cold drinks!
32. Visit an aquarium. Just being around all that water will cool you down, and you may even learn some interesting things, too.
33. Bring out the board games! If you aren’t crazy about lots of game pieces or setup, download games on your phone, computer, or tablet computer. Enjoy with friends, or alone.
34. Spend time on facebook or your favorite social website.
35. Read a scary horror story, or tell ghost stories with your friends. You are sure to get chills, even on the hottest day!
36. Talk into a blowing box fan to hear your inner robot voice. Let the air whip your hair around and enjoy the breeze.
37. Rub ice cubes on your pulse points for instant relief from the heat. Wrap a wet towel around your head to help cool you down even more.
38. Visit your local library. They have way more than just books. Read the latest editions of many popular magazines there for free, or surf the web on one of the library computers. Check out the selection of cd’s, DVD’s, and audiobooks available for free. Libraries are real hidden gems, especially for those on a limited budget. They are also a great air-conditioned place to beat the heat!
39. Rent a convertible for the weekend, and cruise around with the top down. Take a nice, long drive through the shaded countryside, and enjoy the scenery.
40. Take a cool shower to refresh your body, then meditate for half an hour to refresh your mind. Relaxation techniques such as meditation can actually help your body handle the heat a little better, so practice daily for best results.
41. If you are stuck at work on a really hot day, use your lunch break to grab some icy treats for your coworkers. They will appreciate your kindness, and may even return the favor.
42. Make time to check on an elderly friend or relative who may not be handling the heat too well. They may need some relief from the hot weather, and they will appreciate the fact that you cared enough to be concerned.
43. Find a stream, take off your shoes, and dip your feet in. Just watch for any sharp objects in the water!
44. Go to the lake and rent a boat. If you aren’t confident enough to drive it yourself, see if you can hire a captain for the day, so you can relax and really enjoy yourself.
45. If you don’t have anything else to do, catch up on your sleep. Sleeping during the hottest hours of the day, and staying awake during the cool evening and night hours, is common in many hot places around the world. Why not try it at home and see if it helps to beat the heat?
46. Ride your bike! It’s great exercise, and you’ll stay cool if you can coast down some big hills. Remember to stay hydrated, and wear a helmet!
47. Visit an amusement park. Ride on the roller coaster for a quick cool down. Any fast ride can cool you off, so get your adrenaline pumping and have some fun!
48. Practice a random act of kindness. Doing something nice for someone else will make you feel great, and take your mind off the heat.
49. Adopt an animal from an animal shelter, and give it a nice, cool home with you. You’ll get a new friend, and your pet will get a whole new life.
50. Chill out. Relax, try not to worry about work or money, or anything else, for that matter. Spend time with people you care about, and enjoy life as much as possible. You might be boiling hot, but at least you are alive, and that itself is pretty cool!
Vice President/Senior Loan Officer
Author: Richard Emanuele
July 21st 2015
About Richard: Richard Emanuele is a top Producing Real Estate agent who holds distinguished designations such as: ...